30 August 2012

Mecca for the rich: Islam's holiest site 'turning into Vegas'

I have touched upon this subject before and expressed my great annoyance at the way Saudi Arabia is developing shops and hotels and demolishing holy sites at a shocking rate. This article by The Independent highlights the problem, I definitely recommend you reading it and reblogging if you can. 

I really hope that something can be done before it's too late, though I'm not optimistic at all. I read once that a sign of the end of time is that hajj will turn into a holiday and that is certainly what has happened, whether or not you care to admit it.

4 comments:

Al-salaam alaikum said...

I'm kind of conflicted. On one hand, I look forward to Armageddon, but on the other hand, I hate to see such arrogance and abuse of power from these Saudis. And I had no idea they could actually revoke pilgrimage visas. I mean, if I criticize the "kingdom", can they actually stop me from making the Hajj? No creature has the authority to do this.

And we average Muslims aren't any better than the Saudi royalty. They've been carrying on with these acts since the Arab Oil Embargo of the 1970s, and we haven't said or done anything to them. Most of us either don't know what's really happening there because we're preoccupied with the distractions of modern life, and if we do know what's happening, then we're powerless to stop it.

May Allah(swt) reward you for bringing this to your attention, and may Allah(swt) give us the strength and guidance to do something about this. But if we're on the path to Armageddon, then none of us can stop this. May Allah(swt) be pleased with our thoughts and actions.

Salaam.

StylishMuslimah said...

Salaam: They think they have some sort of God-given right over the rest of the world's Muslims. Not only do they revoke visas but for about half of the year they don't let people into their country to do umrah (i.e. during the time period between Ramadan and Hajj and then a few months after hajj only Saudis and expats are able to do umrah), what a joke!

Salam

Asad said...

If we lose our history, there's no way to get it back.

Anonymous said...

you are right on this.