28 November 2008

How To Do Smart

This post is to give you some inspiration on how to go smart, modestly. Weather you are a professional woman or need a one off well-dressed look, I hope you will pick up some tips here. Generally, I think the best and most timeless smart look is the suit be it skirt or trouser but I'll also be showing you some worthy alternatives.

What NOT to do:

1/ Slits in a skirt or any outfit that makes your body look like it's only been blacked out. I don't like telling you what not to do so that's it.. ^-^

2/ Oh, one last thing - if in doubt go for black, trust me you'd sooner be safe than sorry, especially when you're expected to be looking bright, fresh and smart.. you don't want to be looking even remotely fashionably challenged.

3/ P.S. Absolutely no asymmetrical or 'zig-zag' hem lines. Yuck!

What To Do:

Enough of the eye sores, next some nice skirt suits :D

The two suits above are from modern muslimah. They're really smart and stylish, I love the second one, it looks so good with a Turkish style hijab (far more professional looking than a shayla style). The great thing about suits is you don't have to wear the top and bottom together all the time and you can mix and match with different tops and blouses. The runway is great for inspiration.

Trouser suits:

Luckily, smart trousers are generally loose fitted. If you go for the wide leg trouser suit you usually just need to make sure that your bottom is properly covered :) You can achieve this with a loose pair of trousers or a longer jacket.

The first two suits are from onestopplusrewards

I like these but I must admit the first suit is slightly dull so if you go for a colour like this, wear a statement bag to balance it out.

Unfortunately the above shop is dedicated only to the larger woman but I love these suits from elegance

They have a really nice selection of suits I would love to own but they come with a heavy price tag too! :(

Alternatives..

If you don't like the suit altogether, there are other ways to dress smart of course. The most obvious being simply a skirt or wide legs and blouse..endless possibilities

And the second (my fave idea) a long dress with a smart jacket over the top. This pic is just to give you and idea of the look but you can go for different colours and styles to suit you:

And finally my idea of a 'suit alternative' outfit:

The Smart Hijabi by Zaenab

Um, the shoes are there more for show to be honest..I would wear flats :D

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salam! turkish style really rocks!

lala said...

cute! love the skirts shown on that runway.

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much for posting this. I have been looking for a long time for suggestions like this. If you think of more ideas, especially for skirt suits and tips on where to get them, I would appreciate it. Thanks :)